12 February 2014

My Bloody Valentine

My Bloody Valentine Cocktail

In the late '80s,  I worked as an outside insurance adjuster in the DC/ Northern Virginia/ Maryland land of congestion.  Traffic was criminal and I spent 10 hour days in a butt ugly light blue Nissan Sentra --  Not exactly what I had in mind when the boss promised a 'company car.'  With only an AM/FM radio, music choices were mostly country, Christian or Barry White.  I finally found an alternative station out of Annapolis that could just make it to Manassas before it was rolled over by, 'Three Rusty Nails.'

I was a sponge soaking up new sounds and bands out of Annapolis.  The Feelies did a cover of Patti Smith's, 'Dancing Barefoot' that this one dj played over and over but never identified.  I finally recorded it on my company, 'Olympus micro cassette' and played it for a kid at an alternative music store in Alexandria.

My Bloody Valentine, a band MIA in most everyone's vocabulary in Northern Virginia,  had huge play on the Annapolis station.  Again, like the Feelies, they were a unique sound, but they were a tad more more popular and every once in a while I'd hear them while eating crab at the Quarter Deck in Arlington or throwing back beers at the Tune In on the Hill.





I wanted to do a cocktail for Valentine's Day and I really liked the Negroni that uses Prosecco instead of gin.  Along the same lines, I replaced the Prosecco with Blood Orange soda and while it's not a requirement,  a couple shakes of Regan's Orange bitters really rounds this cocktail out.  It's more  refreshing than boozy.  Bitter, but quaffable.  I first used a martini glass but the Golf Foxtrot inherited a dozen or so coupes from her grandmother and while I'm not a big "colored glass" guy, they do pair well with the bloody red.  

2 oz Aperol or Campari
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
4 oz Blood Orange Soda
2 shakes Regan Orange Bitters

Add ice and stir until very cold.  Strain into a coupe.  Maybe throw in a Whitman's Sampler for her.  I gave one to a stripper on Valentine's Day in 1977.  I was driving a '68 Dodge Charger and pulled into the parking lot behind behind the Suzy Wong Club when a cop...




9 comments:

Ben said...

HFS!

tintin said...

Ben- That's it! Couldn't remember and didn't find squat on line due to numerous owners. Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Tintin,

HFS made my 1980's trips to Salisbury Maryland almost enjoyable, MBV are still around as are the Feelies - saw the Feelies last year in your favorite city. Their debut recording, Crazy Rythyms, is one of the few "rock" recordings I still enjoy. It makes the first Talking Heads record sound like a Motorhead concert. As for MBV, they remain the loudest band I have ever seen/heard. Their recording Loveless may induce vertigo. Or provide balance in the early morning hours. Who needs drugs when you have MBV?
Douglas

tintin said...

There was some bizarre stuff MBV cranked out in the late '80s but it always had something ... Like that guitar slide that goes on for 10 minutes. Even without booze or drugs, it's kinda cool

Josh R said...

Thanks, John. And beautiful pix, as always. MBV looms large for me. In hindsight maybe the most important rock band of the 90s. IMHO. I used to spend hours wondering how Kevin Shields got his guitar to sound that way. And Douglas- if the Feelies can make Talking Heads sound like Motorhead, I guess I'm finally going to have to dig in. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

I still live in the land of traffic congestion and yes it still sucks! Sadly HFS dropped from its 90's heyday to first a Spanish station then an all news talker. You have excellent taste in Music and beverages. I remember discovering the feelies and MBV on 99.1 my senior year of High school.

Anonymous said...

I still live in the land of traffic congestion and yes it still sucks! Sadly HFS dropped from its 90's heyday to first a Spanish station then an all news talker. You have excellent taste in Music and beverages. I remember discovering the feelies and MBV on 99.1 my senior year of High school.

Unclelooney said...

Stream 89.3 The Current out of St Paul on the Steppe. Best station around

Anonymous said...

DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

(1)Ex back.
(2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
(3)You want to be promoted in your office.
(4)Pregnancy spell.
(5)Win a court case.

Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
What’s app +2347012841542
Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341